Webster's defines Epsom salt as magnesium sulfate used as a cathartic or laxative. This is just one of many uses, and the reason it would be wise to not over indulge in drinking a solution of Epsom salt as a magnesium supplement, as it can cause an upset stomach and diarrhea. But one of the wonderful things about Epsom salt or magnesium sulfate is that the magnesium can be absorbed through our skin and begin helping us almost immediately.
- Brush your teeth with Epsom salt and peroxide to fight against periodontal disease. While some dentists recommend using baking soda and peroxide, the sodium in baking soda can create a problem for people needing to restrict their sodium intake while Epsom salt will not.
- Soak your feet in warm water and Epsom salt to soften and smooth corns. Dr. Levine states in The Doctors Book of Home Remedies that soaking your feet in warm water and Epsom salt will bring temporary pain relief by diminishing "the size of the bursa sac" while taking "pressure off the nearby sensory nerves." I know Epsom salt and warm water was one of the things prescribed to relieve the pain I experienced when I had folliculitis.
- Sprinkle Epsom salt on your garbage cans to deter the raccoons. Another tip I've heard is tying a rag soaked in ammonia on your garbage can. If the taste of the salt doesn't get them the odor of ammonia will.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt to a gallon of water and spray your lawn for a lusher, greener lawn.
- Add Epsom salt to olive oil and use to exfoliate your skin. Add the Epsom salt to your shampoo to rejuvenate your scalp. Let it set on the skin for a few minutes to be absorbed before rinsing.
- Use Epsom salt and liquid dish detergent to whiten floor tiles and dissolve dirt. By adding some Epsom salt to your sudsy water you will get a cleaning boost.
- Make a home remedy for blackheads by boiling ½ cup of water, 3 drops of iodine and 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt. Let cool enough to touch. Bottle the mixture and use with a cotton ball to apply to blackheads. If the mixture separates days later just heat in the microwave and wait to cool before applying again.
- Use Epsom salt to fertilize and feed roses, tomatoes, and peppers. In general, magnesium plays a role in strengthening the plant cell walls, allowing the plant to take in the nutrients it needs. It also aids in seed germination, photosynthesis and in the formation of fruits and seeds. Either mix in 1 T. of Epsom salt into the soil at the bottom of the planting hole when setting out transplants or mix the 1 T. in a gallon of water and water the seedling.
- Increase your magnesium levels in your body by soaking in Epsom salt bath water three times weekly. While it is extremely difficult to get enough magnesium in our systems through our diets, it is readily absorbs into our systems through our skin. Magnesium is needed by our bodies for many functions; however, a doctor should be consulted prior to extensive use, particularly for those with kidney problems. Magnesium works to activate many other enzymes our body needs.
- Magnesium is useful in the treatment of asthma, COPD, fibromyalgia, ADD, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes, angina, cardiac arrhythmia, congestive heart failure, fatigue, kidney stones, migraine and tension headaches, complications due to pregnancy and premenstrual syndrome. Our bodies cannot properly use serotonin without the assistance of magnesium. Serotonin is a natural chemical created within the brain responsible for feelings of well being and relaxation. So maybe there is something to that saying "Calgon take me away"?
|Become a Fan of Newby Realty on Facebook||Newby Realty - Manufactured Home Sales|
|Newby Realty provides sales of new and used manufactured (mobile) homes throughout Florida in Bradenton, Clearwater, Debary, Edgewater, Ellenton, Fort Pierce, Hudson, Lakeland, N. Fort Myers, New Smyrna Beach, Ocala, Palmetto, Port Charlotte, Port Richey, Sarasota, Winter Springs, Zephyrhills.|